Korea citizens are eligible for temporary residence permit in Hungary. The purpose of the Working Holiday Scheme (WHS) is to enhance cultural and people-to-people contacts between Hungary and the Republic of Korea in order to promote mutual understanding.
What are the eligibility criteria for the Working Holiday Visa applicant?
(a) is a national of the Republic of Korea and resident in the Republic of Korea;
(b) has the primary intention to holiday in Hungary, with employment being incidental rather than primary reason for the visit;
(c) is aged between eighteen (18) and thirty (30) years, both inclusive, at the time of application;
(d) is not accompanied by dependants;
(e) possesses a passport issued by the Republic of Korea valid for at least the validity of the temporary residence permit;
(f) possesses a ticket for departure from Hungary, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket;
(g) possesses sufficient funds for his/her maintenance during the period of stay in Hungary, as determined by the relevant authorities;
(h) agrees to hold medical and comprehensive hospitalisation insurance to remain in force throughout his/her stay in Hungary, to the extent that this is not covered by the national health insurance of the Republic of Korea;
(i) complies with any health requirements imposed by Hungary;
(j) has not participated in this Working Holiday Program previously;
(k) does not have a criminal record.
Rights and duties of the participants
1. The Parties shall allow any national of the State of the other Party holding a valid working holiday visa or temporary residence permit and being granted permission to enter the respective State of the Party:
(a) to stay in the country concerned;
(b) to undertake paid employment pursuant to the terms of this Agreement for a period of not more than one (1) year from the date of entry into the respective State of the Party;
(c) to enter and exit the other country during the period of validity of the working holiday visa or temporary residence permit.
2. Each Party shall require any national of the State of the other Party having entered its territory and participating in the Working Holiday Program under this Agreement to comply with its national laws and regulations and not to engage in employment that is contrary to the terms of this Agreement.
3. Either Party shall not allow nationals of the State of the other Party having entered its territory and participating in the Working Holiday Program under this Agreement to engage in permanent employment during their stay.
The number of temporary residence permits issued per annum may not exceed the limit set out in the relevant international agreement (in the case of Korea the annual quota is 100.
You can make an appointment by e-mail or by phone. Please visit the “Opening Hours” section of the website.
- ID photos
- Airplane ticket (incl. return ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such ticket; destination has to be Hungary);
- Bank statement (having at least 3000 USD or equivalent KRW on it)
- Proof of accommodation
- If you already know where you would visit/work/study, bring the corresponding papers; if not, no need
- Visa fee (for payment options, please visit the “Consular fees and charges” section)
You will also have a personal interview with our Consul. Please be aware that in order to get the Working Holiday Visa you must possess (at least) basic English or
Processing of the Working Holiday Visa applications
The processing time take approximately 2-3 weeks depending on the fulfilment all the eligibility criteria.
In case of a successful application the Hungarian Consulate will issue a visa for entitlement to collect the temporary residence permit at one of the regional offices of the Immigration and Asylum Office. A temporary residence permit is valid for multiple entries and valid in Hungary for a period of one (1) year from the date of issuance.
Please be aware that in order to get the Working Holiday Visa you must possess (at least) basic English or Hungarian skills.
- Hungarian skills.
Here, you can read the full text of the Agreement between the Government of Hungary and the Government of the Republic of Korea concerning a Working Holiday Program in both Hungarian and English.
- Immigration and Asylum Office: