Registration of marriage concluded abroad
Hungarian citizens should register their marriages concluded abroad. The application can be lodged at the register offices in Hungary, as a general rule.
Application can also be lodged at the Consular Section of the Embassy. In this case the procedure may take up to 3 months or even more.
You can make an appointment by e-mail or by phone. Please visit the “Opening Hours” on the website. Please note that both parties/applicants should appear in person for the appointment!
1. Original marriage certificate (this is required in ALL cases)
If the marriage was concluded in a country other than Korea you might need to get an Apostille or diplomatic legalisation from the country of marriage. For further information please contact us (by email) or the Hungarian Embassy accredited to the country of marriage.
There is no need for translation:
- if the marriage certificate is also issued in English, or
- if the marriage certificate is issued in two or more languages including English, German or French.
If the marriage certificate is issued in other languages a legalised translation should be enclosed. The translation can be prepared by the Hungarian Office for Translation and Attestation Ltd (http://www.offi.hu/en), or the translation can be legalised by the competent Hungarian Consulate.
2. Copy of birth certificate of the Hungarian party
3. Completed and signed application form.
Please fill in the application form in Hungarian with block capital letters in accordance with the rules of the Hungarian language. The application form can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.
4. Proof of marital status of the Hungarian national prior to the marriage
If you were divorced before getting married again: final court decision about the divorce (with Hungarian translation). If you were widow(er) before getting married again: death certificate of the deceased spouse.
5. Proof of Hungarian nationality
Valid passport, valid identity card or certificate of nationality wich has been issued within the past 3 years.
6. Proof of nationality in respect of the non-Hungarian party
7. Certificate of marital status of the non-Hungarian party prior to the marriage
The non-Hungarian party has to present an official certificate on his/her previous family status (prior to the marriage). This document should be translated to Hungarian by the Hungarian Office for Translation and Attestation Ltd (http://www.offi.hu/en) or the translation can be legalised by the competent Hungarian Consulate. (ie. Hungarian Consulate accredited to the country of origin of the non-Hungarian party). Apostille or diplomatic legalisation from the country of origin might also be necessary.
EU citizens are not required to present such a certificate.
8. Request for registration in the Registry of Personal Data and Address
The Hungarian national has to fill in point IV. of the application form in the following cases:
• if the Hungarian national does not have a valid Hungarian ID card AND
• he/she does not have a Hungarian address card with the remark “Külföldön élő magyar állampolgár” AND
- he/she has never lived in Hungary.
9. Consular fee:
For information about the fees please visit the following link on our website: “Consular fees and charges”.
Application by post
If you wish to apply by post, please contact us by e-mail.